Friday 24 August 2012

WIP 1/72 German force

Hi guys, my next major project will be 1/72 WWII, I used to make detailed 1/72nd display models, and have built up a collection of 3 large removal boxes of unbuilt kits, I'd say 300+, but because they were for static models I have collected 1 of each kind, so unfortunately not many duplicate models, I used to take 2-4 weeks to make 1 display model, but I am going to try and build most of my stash by the end of the year (a big ask) but we will see, I will be building them in batches, but still want them to be quality models, I will start with the German kits
Here is the first batch, most of my kits are full models, but a minority are quick builds, to gain some momentum, I have decided to do most of the quick builds in the first batch, these aren't finished construction yet, so ignore any gaps and seams, will fill these with milliput.
I will give these vehicles generic German cammo and decals, but some of them will be Das Reich, there are vehicles for early, mid, and late war, in my collection, the German/Italian kits only make up less than a 3rd of my collection, the largest part would be Russian, then US/Brit make up about a 3rd, all vehicles will have crews.

Some 251s, 2 Dragon, 3 PSC and 1 Revell, these will have the interior painted before being fully constructed, I have 3 more PSC in my collect, but am waiting for the PSC conversion kit for thes.
An Italeri quick build PzIII J converted to a Flammepanzer III, I changed the barrel and added some details, replaced the hand rails with wire, added an open commanders hatch, it wouldn't do for display model, but makes an OK war gaming piece.

An Italeri quick build late Panther G, opened the hatch replaced the lifting eyes with wire, added some other details, again not a good display model, but good for war gaming.

An early Trumpeter Tiger, not to bad a kit, had to open the commanders hatch, replaced the plastic grab handles with wire, I don't really like the rubber parts though.

Hasegawa Puma, started making this a while ago and lost the commanders hatch, so had to scratch build a new one.

An Academy late Opel Blitz, I will leave the thick ugly windows off, the tarp will be covered with tissue for texture and a tarp roll added at the end of the cover, so it looks rolled back, there will be a driver add.


15 comments:

  1. Nice work. Look forward to see them painted. Where do you get the Altaleri quick builds from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of tank! Looking great, hope you have fun painting them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I David the Italeri quick builds were bought from my LHS, they come 2 to a box, they are pretty good for war gaming, and go together quickly and easily, they are very basic, as you can see the running gear does not have much detail, and the 2 part wheels are in 1 solid chunk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plenty on the go here Dan. I really like the Italeri Panther Gs EXCEPT for the awful running gear with the track wrapped around the drive sprocket. It is very inaccurate! It annoyed me so much that I swapped them for tracks from the Armourfast JagdPanther which are perfect in terms of size, though quite tricky to fit onto the Italeri hull. I suppose some Schurzen would have been another option...

    Be interested to see how your PSC HTs come up. Been umming-and-ahhing about getting some of these.

    Cheers, Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice additions and changes, 300+ kits in 4 months, I'd say a very tall order but I am looking forward to seeing you try to get there!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good start mate. watching this progress with interest

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks interesting-I am more than a little tempted by WW2.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff! Another joins the 'One True Scale'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looking good Dan,

    can I suggest you add zimmerit to the panther and Tiger......just a thought!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks guys, TBH I will probably only get a small part of the 300 kits done by Xmas, but I'm aiming high.
    BW - the Tiger is an early model (kursk) so no Zim, and the Panther is a late model, again no zim, there will be vehicle that will have Zim added though, just not in this batch,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its a good method to construct and paint a group of similar vehicles in the one build. And similar vehicles (like halftracks)grouped together in a diorama look good, and its a realistic way to display them. Its an ambitious plan to get through that stash of kits, I wish you well, and lots of spare time, but even if you get 30 of them done, its a 10% reduction, and provides more room for new purchases ;)

    I'll be checking out your updates

    cheers
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that looks nice alltogether!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crikey Dan! If you can do 300+ kits before Xmas then you will be a bloody legend!

    A great start all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW, that's a lot of models.
    But, they are in good hands - yours. Good luck with them Dan, I will be waiting for your wip posts...:)

    ReplyDelete