Sunday 25 August 2019

Scratch built 15mm Urbanmech

Hi guys

My first 15mm fully scratch built mech, its still a work in progress, made my first an urbanmech, because of the simple design, and I'm testing a new medium, (intend to make 8-10), 15mm figure for scale, I usually use kneadatite, procreate or miliput for sculpting, but have been eyeing off polymer clay for a long time, finally thought I would give it a go for this project, its about half the cost of miliput and a fifth of kneadatite, this sculpt cost me $3 Australian to complete.
Polymer clay has some interesting properties, you can pick it up and handle it without leaving finger prints or distorting the shape, and you can take your time sculpting as it stays soft until cured in an oven.
Its not perfect, but I have limited funds at the moment, I'm hoping to get a resin 3D printer for Christmas.










4 comments:

  1. Nice work Dan.
    Since you need 10 , you might consider doing a mould.Cost of rubber + resin/clay vs time needed to sculpt individually + cost of polymer clay.
    I personally prefer the first legs version.Simple & easily modified into different poses.
    You don't want 10 posed the same after all the work you will put in them.

    Keep it up 👍👍👍👍
    Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, sorry, I meant it will be 10 different mechs

      Delete
  2. Very nice work indeed, Dan this project is becoming one of your best so far, and that is saying something considering I have some of your outstanding work in my collection! I too am tempted by the printer idea...we'll see ! Keep up the great work, am following it closely!
    Don

    ReplyDelete