Monday 12 August 2024

1st Gen Airfix marines + Tunisia Brit para proj part 2

Hi guys

I have done the head swap portion of this Brit para in Tunisia project, need to putty up the joints and add some details, this will be the bulk of the project, there’s a mortar team to add, and I will add 3 more ammo guys to the vickers team to fit it into the CoC rules, I might add an FO team, and a sniper, and maybe an engineer team (I have a flamethrower there) I’ve got a handful of figures in denisons, because they are to cool to leave out all together, and they undoubtedly did wear them in Tunisia, 2 of the AB secos have Mk V stens, I’m either going to cut them off and replace with Mk IIIs from a Revell Brit para box I have coming in the mail, or I will convert 2 NCOs from that box when it arrives. 

I recently bought a job lot of 2nd hand (cut from the sprue but not painted) matchbox figures to add to my Nostalgic project, mostly matchbox US and German infantry, there’s a lot of US infantry, maybe 5-6 boxes worth, but there was also 1st generation Airfix US marines, I was quite surprised, I have been in this hobby for nearly 50 years, and I thought I had owned every plastic set as a kid at one time or another, but I have never even seen this set and didn’t know what they were at first, but there are a few classic Airfix poses that pointed me in the right direction, and after a bit of google searching I found 1 picture of the set, they aren’t even on Plastic soldier review, so my question, how rare is this set? It’s very rare to see any of the other 1st gen sets nowadays, I’ve never seen them advertised for sale, the figures are quite nice and the plastic is good, no brittleness, I haven’t counted them yet, but there’s are a fare few,  might even be more than 1 box worth. 














 


1 comment:

  1. I used to love that set of US marines! Very disappointed with the replacement set for some reason. Not sure how rare they are, but only produced 1963 to 1970....the review is buried in the review of the second set:

    https://plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=355

    Neil

    ReplyDelete