Sunday 16 April 2023

Testing out some alternative painting techniques

 Hi guys 

Trying out an old technique, but a new one for me, at least one I haven’t done since the early 2000s, pretty simple really, just rattle canning the base coat, I’ve had an airbrush for a long time and usually airbrush my base coats, but I felt like trying something new, here I’ve used Tamiya dark yellow, German grey and olive drab, I undercoated black (rattlecan) let dry, then applied the base coat. They turned out OK, and will be a good start for working on. 

I tested a Hungarian car with the olive drab, but wasn’t happy with the colour, so I masked of some camo and over sprayed in dark yellow, hadn’t planned on using this style so didn’t buy a brown for a 3 tone camo, so this guy will stay green/yellow, it turned out OK, so I’ll be grabbing a brown for 3 tone later, it will go to my Luftwaffe troops maybe, I’ll try some different greens for the Hungarian base coat. 

I’ll use this technique maybe every 3rd batch just to change it up a bit.

I was expecting the German grey to be a bit darker, but was pleasantly surprised to see they came out lighter than expected which will be easier for me to work with, I like some variation in shades and tones so will use filters to achieve that. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment